What is Sharepoint ?
Sharepoint is a enterprise information portal from Microsoft, that can be configured to run Intranet, Extranet and Internet sites.
Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server 2007 allows pepole, teams and expertise to connect and collaborate. A sharapoint enterprise portal is composed of both Sharepoint Portal and windows Sharepoint Services, with Sharepoint being built upon WSS. WSS is typically used by small teams, projects and companies.
Sharepoint Server is designed for individuals, teams and projects within a medium to large company wide enterprise portal.
Why we have to use Sharepoint ?
- As companies grow so does the amount of their files. It soon becomes difficult to keep track of the multiplying documents and their locations. Sharepoint overcomes this by allowing you to store and share your files in a central site.
- Sharing work files through email is a cumbersome process. Sharepoint eliminates this by allowing files to be store in one location, allowing easy access to all team members.
- Today’s work occurs over multiple locations, whether it is in different countries, office locations, and separate departments or at your home office. Sharepoint enables teams and individuals to connect and collaborate together regardless of where they are located.
- Surveys have shown that employees can spend up to 20 – 30 % of their day searching for data and information. Sharepoint eliminates this drag on productivity by providing the robust search functionality.
- It’s difficult and time consuming to create and maintain sites. Sharepoint allows anyone to create sites for use within their company’s Intranet, as they are needed, whether they are departmental sites, document libraries, meetings, survey sites, or discussion boards.
Different Versions of Sharepoint released still now:
- Sharepoint Portal Server 2001
- Sharepoint Portal Server 2003
- Sharepoint Portal Server 2007
- Sharepoint Portal Server 2010
Competitors of Sharepoint in the market:
- Java Portals
- People soft